Monday, August 30, 2010

Birthday Celebration Fail. Birthday Celebration Win.

This past weekend I had two Birthdays to celebrate. And somehow I ended up in charge of both celebrations. Me? In charge. Now who came up with that brilliant idea?

Friday night I got nominated to plan a birthday night for my dad involving him, myself, and my step-sister. I also got nominated to provide all transportation for everybody and given a very limited budget. To top that off my dad demanded both entertainment and food and vetoed the idea of seeing a movie.

With the budget and other restrictions I came up with the plan to order pizza from my fave deep dish pizza place. And I donated my favorite bottle of local Pinot Noir for the occasion. Then for entertainment I discovered an interesting sounding music event. It was a cheesy horror movie premier combined with a band tour which was supposed to involve live theatrics such as acrobatics and fire juggling. Music type was described as gothic jazz. It sounded like something eclectic and unique enough to interest my dad and tickets were inexpensive.

The pinot was a big win.
The pizza was a moderate win.
The entertainment was a big lose. We did not even make it to the main performance as the opening acts (9 of the 10 that we made it through) were so awful that we eventually had to leave because we could no longer stand it. We arrived at 8 pm when the performance was meant to start and by 10:30 the main performance had not started and we were still suffering through opening acts. My dad finally said "I can't take anymore. We are leaving now."

So dad's birthday - big fail.

My step-dad's birthday the next day was happily a win. For that all we did was head over and make him dinner. I love it when they're easy to please. We made stuffed chicken for 7 people. The chicken was stuffed with peaches, nectarines, blackberry, potatoes, and pepper jack cheese. It was topped with a spicey honey sauce (also hand-made) and baked for 50 minutes. It turned out beautiful and perfect.

So after this weekend I am 1 for 1. I guess you can't win them all.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I think i'm all hungry now from reading the last part of the stuffed chicken. I need a recipe like that to try it out.

Sorry your Dad's B-day was a bust..but glad the other turned out. :)

Just Me said...

Oh the recipe is super easy. You just take get a boneless skinless chickenbreast and wrap it in wax paper on a cutting board and then beat it with a rolling pin until it is thin and flat. You want as much surface area as possible. Once you have give yourself a ton of surface area remove the wax paper and you make a chicken burrito with whatever you want on the inside. I like putting fruit and cheese in them. And I also like adding red pepper flakes and chili powder to add some heat.

You put each chicken burrito in a glass baking dish and surround them in whatever fruit you are using. I like peaches and black berries. I cover everything and surround everything in the fruit.

Then I make a sauce using honey and brown sugar and chili flakes and chilipowder. You can also add some fruit juice to this if you want it thinner and are adventurous. Mix your sauce and heat in a small sauce pan. Then soak your chicken in the baking dish with the sauce. Save some for serving with and dipping.

Then put your dish in the oven make sure your oven is pre-set to 400 degrees and cook for 50 minutes. Check on it around 40 minutes to make sure your oven hasnt cooked it faster than normal. Oh ya and cover the dish in foil for while it cooks.

Lots of prep but overall pretty easy. :)

Post a Comment